Search & Win

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Mom's Euology

I want to start off by thanking you all for being here today, and all your support over the past few days. It really means a lot to my family and I.

Please bear with me as I try to get through this- my heart really hurts to have to be here giving this Euology.

My Mom was the youngest of 14 children. But you would never guess she was the baby of the family as she could certainly hold her own with all of her older siblings.
She graduated from High School in 1964 and began working for Police Headquarters downtown. She married my father in May of 1968 after 5 years of dating. In 1970 Mom left Police Headquarters to become a "Domestic Engineer" as she liked to call it. Mom just told me a week before she went into the hospital that if she could do it all over again, she would marry the same man & do it all the same. It made me feel very good to know she had no big regrets in her life.

My Mom had so many wonderful qualities...but I will only speak to a few here.

My Mom was a very compassionate person who was liked by all. Whether they knew her well or only as an aquaintance. All of my friends thought my Mom was great. From my childhood friends who thought she was so awesome cause she played Nintendo...( I just thought it was normal that my Mom could kick my butt at Super Mario) and all my adult friends who would meet her and instantly feel a bond with her. I cannot tell you how many times after friends would meet her at one of my gathersing, they would call or email me to say how much they enjoyed talking to her and how sweet she was & how special she made them feel. I know I can speak for my sister and say her friends also felt the same.
Also, every year at our Family Reunions my sister and I hear how special my Mom is to all of our cousins & they all give the same reasons, because she was so caring, non-judging, & loving.

My Mom taught me her next best quality, Selflessness and Kindness in many ways. But one that sticks out in my head is how she ALWAYS made sure to visit my Grandmother each night while she was in the nursing home. Even during the cold months when my Dad had to work late, she would bundle us up and we would walk to the nursing home. She never missed a night... no matter the reason.

But lastly...Moms best quality was being the "Ultimate Grandma". I know all Grandmas are awesome, but I have to say she really took the cake on this one! She LOVED her Grandkids, nothing made her happier. She treated them all the same, loved them all the same, Whether you were her first born granchild, 3rd, or even still unborn, she loved them all equally and compassionately. To her every little accomplishment was a HUGE one!

However, my Mom was sick and her illness was quite a frustrating one. Mostly for her, but also for us. Many times I would get frustrated for the things her illness caused her to miss out on. I would worry about the quality of my memories with her. I wanted them to be fun and exciting. With my Dad most of my memories consisted of fun things like turning up the radio to jam out to Chuck Berry's "Johnny B Good". But memories with my Mom seemed simple, boring in comparison to those with my Dad, and I longed so much to make some memories of say, us walking around the Zoo, or maybe some other exciting trips here or there. But her body wouldn't let her.

Things in my life have changed recently with the birth of my own daughter, and then this past week in the hospital with her, a sad realization slowly crept into my head that she was more than likely not making it out this time. Something odd happened. MY life with my Mom flashed in front of my eyes that week. So many memories came to me that I had forgotten about & those memories that for so long had seemed simple and boring, suddenly became comforting, enough.
The fact is, boring as it might have seemed, my Mom was ALWAYS THERE. That is a comforting feeling that makes me who I am today. The Mother I am to Maddie & will be to Cameron. Memories like sitting with my Mom in the kitchen eating Chicken Noodle Soup with buttered Saltine Crackers, that once seemed boring...now it feels exciting and again, comforting. And nothing brings a smile to my face more than sharing a time like that with Maddie, teaching HER how to dip HER cracker into the bowl, like my Mom did with me. It makes me feel complete as an adult, and happy to be the kind of Mom to Maddie that my Mom was to me. Another simple memory that came flooding back into my head is the feeling of her dressing me, and how she would wiggle me around to pull my pants up. Sounds dumb, I know, ut I now think of & feel my Mom's hands on me again every time I dress Maddie. Who needs exciting, adventurous memories... certainly not me.

For the past month or so, I guess my Mom was having dreams of her dead siblings, and Mother. And they actually told her they were coming for her. She asked them to hold on, but when it's your time, it is your time. I didn't know about those dreams until after she went into the hospital. She probably didn't want me to know because she knew how seriously I too those types of things, and she didn't want me worrying in my condition- and I would have. All I know is that I am soo comforted by the fact that I know she was greeted in Heaven by her Brothers and Sisters, and my Grandma. I know she is happy and content right now being where she is.

All I have left is a Poem I would like to read called "Rest in Peace"

Rest in Peace


You are not forgotten loved one
Nor will you ever be
As long as life and memory last
we will remember thee

We miss you now, our hearts are sore
As time goes by, we miss you more
Your loving smile, your gentle face
No one can fill your vacant place.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Reading this makes my heart ache. I have the fondest memories of your mom and I, too, remember she was ALWAYS THERE! That's one of the reasons I always loved coming over to your house because I knew your mom was there - I can picture her now in the living room - I'm so sad that I won't be able to see her there again. How is your dad doing?